Thursday, April 30, 2009

Lesson's Learned by Newbie

 Revelation and a Living Prophet

Chapter 16

From the Life of Joseph Smith
Following this conference, the Prophet recalled, “my time was occupied closely in reviewing the commandments and sitting in conference, for nearly two weeks; for from the first to the twelfth of November we held four special conferences. In the last … the conference voted that they prize the revelations to be worth … the riches of the whole earth.” The conference also declared that the revelations are “the foundation of the Church in these last days, and a benefit to the world, showing that the keys of the mysteries of the kingdom of our Savior are again entrusted to man; and the riches of eternity [are] within the compass of those who are willing to live by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.”

God has always guided His people and His Church through revelation.

“Salvation cannot come without revelation; it is in vain for anyone to minister without it. … No man can be a minister of Jesus Christ except he has the testimony of Jesus; and this is the spirit of prophecy [see Revelation 19:10]. Whenever salvation has been administered, it has been by testimony. Men of the present time testify of heaven and hell, and have never seen either; and I will say that no man knows these things without this.”7

The President of the Church conveys the word of God to us for our day and generation.

“Like those who held up the hands of Moses [see Exodus 17:8–13], so let us hold up the hands of those who are appointed to direct the affairs of the Kingdom, so that they may be strengthened, and be enabled to prosecute their great designs, and be instrumental in effecting the great work of the last days.”

Those who reject the living prophet will not progress and will bring upon themselves the judgments of God.

Noah was a perfect man, and his knowledge or revelation of what was to take place upon the earth gave him power to prepare and save himself and family from the destruction of the flood. This knowledge, or revelation, … was not believed by the inhabitants of the earth. They knew Adam was the first man, made in the image of God; that he was a good man; that Enoch walked with God three hundred and sixty-five years, and was translated to heaven without tasting death. But they could not endure the new revelation: the old we believe because our fathers did, but away with new revelations. And the flood swept them away. …

“The same principle … was signally manifest among the Jews when the Savior came in the flesh. [They] boasted of the old revelations, garnished the sepulchres of the dead, gave tithes of mint and anise, made long prayers for a pretense, and crossed sea and land to make proselytes, but yet when the new revelation came fresh from the mouth of the great I Am himself, they could not endure it—it was too much. It showed the corruptions of that generation, as others before, and they cried, away with him; crucify him! …

Prov. 29:18 Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the lawhappy is he. I LOVE THIS SCRIPTURE... It is so true!

My Testimony,

I am so thankful that God calls men to be Prophets. I know that he has a plan for everyone, and each child of God are to follow prophecies. I am very thankful that I may pray and receive revelation and conformation that these things are of the Lord and not of man. He hears your prayers, and will answer you. I can feel the Holy Spirit confirm to me that it is truth. The Lord will overtake you with peacfullness. I am also thankful that I am able to seek the Lord for direction in my own life. He will reveal to me exactly what I am suppose to do. Where, what, and how I am going to do something. He is always by your side, when you call upon him he is there to guide you. I feel very blessed to have a TRUE prophet here on earth today. 

In the name of Jesus Christ

Amen

5 comments:

Nick and Natalie said...

You are pretty cool. I Love You!
Nick

Natalie Benavides said...

Well. I think you're fabulous. End of story.

And yes we do need to get together and do something fun!

I think our mutual obsessions with dogs, pictures, crafts, and the church would give us some good options ! :)

Sherine said...

Natalie.. i love that you are documenting your progression in the church.. your future children.. and maybe even you will be able to read back on your words and find such strength!

Good for you

Jill said...

This is a great idea. Sometimes when you are in primary you feel like you are not progressing in your learning (even though I think I learn more from the primary kids sometimes). This is a great way to keep growing.

Melissa Wilson said...

Natalie--I am so excited about tonight!!! :) See you at 8!